[cups.general] Kde and gnome-print make Samba-printing fail onXerox Phaser 6350

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Sep 18 10:44:32 PDT 2007

Waltraut Niepraschk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> thank your for messages.  Lukas and me try to find out what causes
> the problem.
>
> Power cycle of the printer helps.
>
> I installed the fileprinter 2file and print with gnome-print a test file.
> It is attached.
>
> At the moment I have not a Windows printjob.
>
> Best regards

The testfile did not exhibit anything weird. But it would be nice
to get the file generated by KDE or GNOME before it is processed
by the CUPS filters, and an WinXP generated file as well (before
eaten by CUPS).
My suspicion is that when printing from Windows, the job patch file
as defined in the PPD is appliee twice - once by the windows driver
and a second time by the CUPS pstops filter.

As nobody but the Xerox developers know the internals of their
PS procedures used  and/or set up by the job patch file, repeated
execution within the same job may cause unpredictable results.

But to be sure, I'd prefer to look into the files as indicated above.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung