[cups.general] Where is the "mdns" backend?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 16:31:13 PDT 2007

Hi,

probably many of you have seend my earlier posting announcing my "dnssd"
backend, a simple Perl script which discovers network printers via
DNS-SD/Zeroconf. It simply runs the "avahi-browse" command and then
processes the output.

Now I have seen the following STR (feature request):

http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2433

The reporter says it is valid for all systems and he talks about an
"mdns" backend which seems to do the same thing as my "dnssd" backend.
So I searched the repositories of CUPS 1.3.x and 1.4.x for this backend
and I could not find it. Where do I find it? Or is it a proprietary
add-on which Apple adds to CUPS for Mac OS X?

Should I perhaps rename my backend to "mdns" so that there is an "mdns"
for all systems? Or could the CUPS "mdns" backend be made available for
all systems?

    Till

P. S.: Who did not see my announcement, here is the link to the backend
again:

http://www.openprinting.org/download/printing/dnssd

Download it, put it into /usr/lib/cups/backend/, make it executable, and
now more printers get discovered than by "snmp" or you get more info
about your printers.