[cups.general] Where is the "mdns" backend?

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Sep 19 09:26:03 PDT 2007

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Should I perhaps rename my backend to "mdns" so that there is an "mdns"
> for all systems? Or could the CUPS "mdns" backend be made available for
> all systems?

The plan was to include the mdns backend with CUPS 1.3.x, but it was
not ready for public consumption in time.  It will likely show up in
1.4.x once we have all of the issues ironed out.

FWIW, the backend also requires working multicast DNS on the host
platform, so Linux distros will need to enable .local lookups through
Avahi as well.

In the meantime, your perl script will do as a replacement, and I'd
keep the (different) name as-is to avoid confusion in the future.