[cups.general] No joy trying to print from MacBook to HP PSC-1200 which is wired to an Ubuntu box.

Benjamin Rumson rumson_benjamin at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 15:54:21 PDT 2007

Hello,

I guess I need some hand holding here. I have CUPS (v1.1.23) on a shiny new
MacBook and CUPS (v1.2.8) on a freshly installed latest version of Ubuntu. There
is an HP PSC-1200 attached by USB to the Ubuntu box. Printing from the Ubuntu
box works just fine.

I want to serve out the Ubuntu box's printer to the MacBook, but no joy so far.

The driver that Ubuntu is using (hpijs) is not on the MacBook is near as I can tell:

ubuntu> whereis hpijs
hpijs: /usr/bin/hpijs /usr/X11R6/bin/hpijs /usr/bin/X11/hpijs /usr/share/man/man1/hpijs.1.gz

macbook> whereis hpijs
(nada)
macbook> find /usr -name hpijs -print
(also nada)

I've selected the "HP DeskJet 1200C - Gimp-Print v5.0.0-beta2" driver when setting up printing
on the MacBook because it looks fairly general.

I get the following error (on the MacBook) when I try print.

Location:
Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs.
"The process "http" stopped unexpectedly with status 1"
Device URI: http://192.168.1.100:631/ipp/port1

I'm a noob on both systems; any (very literal) instructions will be appreciated.

TIA.

that gives answers, not web links.