[cups.general] SOLVED: Kde and gnome-print make Samba-printing fail on Xerox Pahser 6350

Lukas Thiemeier lukast at ifh.de
Thu Sep 20 08:10:33 PDT 2007

Hi all,
I decided to give some additional information about my problem, because I
solved it without understanding what was wrong.

I want my banners to be printed on red paper, but my printers do not
support selection of the bannerpage source. So I wrote a Bannerpage
myself, with
"<</ManualFeed false /TraySwitch false /Duplex false /MediaPosition 4>> setpagedevice"
  in it, and put red paper into Tray 5 for all printers.
This worked fine.
Later, I decided to use a script running a2ps instead of the original
texttops-filter. This worked, too, but the script did not manage the
trayswitching correctly, so all textfiles were printed on red paper when
printed with bannerpage.
I added
"serverdict begin 0 exitserver"
to the end of my bannerpage, in order toreset the printer afer printing
the bannerpage.
(this is, what google told me when I asked for "postscript printer reset")
This worked fine for a while, until someone used gnome-print and samba
printing crashed as described in my first mail.

"serverdict begin 0 exitserver" is not realy malformed, but this is the
line that was responsible for the error.
I removed this line from the bannerpage and changed the a2ps-filter to
select the correct papertray, and now everything is up to normal.

I did not understand, why a "reset" in the bannerpage influences printing
through samba (only when gnome or kde was used before), while everything
else works realy fine! However, now it seems to work.

If anybody has an idea what was wrong, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks a lot,
Lukas