"Show Completed Jobs" only shows 1 page for any jobs

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Sep 21 04:37:25 PDT 2007

Matthew Jurgens wrote:
> I'm running the following RPM of CUPS on Fedora Core 6
> cups-1.2.12-4.fc6
>
> I'm using it with an HP Laserjet 3055.
> This printer is listed as fully supported and it does work just fine.
>
> Everything about the printer operation work perfectly fine. Its setup
> using the HP-LaserJet_3055-hpijs.ppd file.
>
> No matter which document it prints, no matter the type or how many
> pages, the CUPs web page admin "Completed Jobs" section only ever shows
> jobs as having 1 page. They have variable sizes, but only ever one page.
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> I've deleted and re-added the printer, made sure I have the latest CUPS
> for my distribution etc
>
> Below is a sample from the web page for 2 jobs, one 2 pages and the
> other 3 pages.
>

> Showing 4 of 4 completed jobs.
>       Sort Ascending
>
> ID      Name      User      Size      Pages      State      Control
> hp3055-677      smbprn.00000737 Microsoft Word - Document1      mjurgens
> 2k      1      completed at
> Fri 21 Sep 2007 02:58:37 PM EST
>
> hp3055-676      smbprn.00000736 Microsoft Word - Document1      mjurgens
> 1k      1      completed at
> Fri 21 Sep 2007 02:56:33 PM EST

Very likely, you are using the native Windows platform drivers on your
Windows clients for the target printers as is provided by HP.

That means, CUPS receives an unknown binary jobfile format (mime type of
"application/octet-stream"), and will not filter it, hence, doesn't count
pages. Therefore it logs the dummy "1 page" entry only.

(If you used the PostScript driver on the Windows clients, as is installed
when you use the "cupsaddsmb" method of handing the CUPS driver/PPD to
Samba, your page count would be more precise).

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS