[cups.general] Start print immediately

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Sep 21 10:19:21 PDT 2007

Patrick Vanguardia wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to start print immediately in cups? instead of spooling when the printer is not in paused mode? so it will take less time when printing a large size files?
>> No, sorry.
>>
>> --
>> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer
>>

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if using MAC OS will be able to start print immediately?

I assume you mean Mac OS X?  Since it also uses CUPS, it has the same
implementation and will not start printing immediately.  Print jobs
are spooled first, then filtered and sent to the printer.

In particular, the PDF and PostScript formats generally require
random access to the file in order to combine the various resources
(fonts, images, etc.) onto each page and to do page selection and
imposition.