[cups.general] Need help printing PDFs

Gerald Britton gerald.britton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 07:19:02 PDT 2007

HI -- I'm new to CUPS and want to print a PDF file.  The PDF is a
large format (12" x 18") and I want to print it on standard "Letter"
size paper (8 12" x 11").  So far, no luck.  Here's what I've tried:

1. lp my.pdf

===> printer asks for 12 x 18 paper, I tell printer to use standard
letter stock.  Only the top left corner is printer (expected) BUT the
printout is enlarged by a factor of eight or so

2. lp -o media=letter my.pdf

===> same results as above (printer still asks for 12x18" paper)

3. lp -o media=letter -o fitplot my.pdf

===> printer still asks for 12 x 18 paper, I tell printer to use
standard letter stock.  All I get is one blank page

I'm not sure what to try next, but it's a bit frustrating at this
point.  Hope someone can help.

Oh, btw the printer is an HP 9040mfp