[cups.general] setting up windows 2000 printers using ipp to a cups server -- driver question

Gerald Britton gerald.britton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 12:55:58 PDT 2007

Hi -- I am trying to set up cups to make it easy for windows users to
add cups printers.  I'm ok  so far except for one last piece: having
windows find the driver.  When adding a new printer (windows 2000), I:

1. add a new network printer
2. put in the address http://cups:631/printers/myprinter
3. hit enter

at this point, windows says "Can't find driver" (well it's more
verbose, but that's the meaning).  I previously downloaded the cups
windows driver to a temp directory on the windows box, so I can browse
to that location and load up the driver.

However,  what I want to do is have windows find the driver
automatically at step 3.  Can this be done?  Where do I put the files
(and which ones) to make this happen?

NOTE:  I am not running Samba.  This is to be a pure cups server.