[cups.general] Need help printing PDFs

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Sep 25 04:39:12 PDT 2007

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Gerald Britton wrote:
>

>>Distro is ubuntu 7.04
>>Cups version is  1.2.8-0ubuntu8
>

>>On 9/24/07, Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle at gmx.net> wrote:
>

>>>use the "file /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops" command to find out
>>>if it is just a wrapper script or a binary) ?
>

> Hmmm?
>

>>>I'm asking because some distros don't ship the original CUPS pdftops
>>>filter, but have cobbled together their own wrapper script around
>>>the XPDF utility with the same name, which regularly causes problems
>>>similar to yours, due to its own bugs and misconfiguration....

The "alternate pdftops filter" as published on the CUPS web site (see the
links there) offers nearly all options the xpdf's pdftops utility
known as job attributes. E.g. add "-o pdf-paper=letter"
(without the quotes) as a command line option to the lp or lpr
command to force printing on letter sized media. See the
descriptional comments in the wrapper script for further details.
BTW, the wrapper script permits the use of acroread (the free
Adobe reader) as a further alternative - there are PDF files
which can only be converted to usable PS by acroread.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung