[cups.general] Need help printing PDFs

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Sep 25 08:08:28 PDT 2007

Gerald Britton wrote:
> try this one:
>
> http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1851_pdf/e096/e002379200.pdf
>
> On 9/25/07, Helge Blischke <h.blischke at srz.de> wrote:
>
>>Gerald Britton wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the tip on acroread. I installed it and found that it does
>>>a better job.  The only problem I have with it is that it does not
>>>obey the landscape option.  No matter what I do, it prints portrait.
>>>
>>>So. here's what I know:
>>>
>>>cups/lp can't print all PDFs properly.  You need Acrobat Reader for that
>>>Acrobat reader (on Linux) doesn't process all options properly.  You
>>>need Windows for that!

>>Perhaps you post (an URL to) a sample PDF.
>>We print PDFs as indicated all the time and have not
>>trouble with them,
>>
>>Helge
>>

>>--
>>Helge Blischke
>>Softwareentwicklung
>>
>>H.Blischke at acm.org

OK. The PDF file defines a media box (and a crop box with the same
parameters) the width of which is greater than its height. That is,
the page *is* a landscape page by definition.
The "alternate pdftops filter", if configured as recommended, spits
out a PostScript file which sets up a page size as defined by the
PDF's media box, which is certainly too big for a letter sized media.
But the pstops filter, if properly configured, shrinks the logical
page to the availabel media size(s). It also should automatically
account for the implicit orientation. Maybe that the latter feature
still has not yet been implemented - we use the "alternate pstops filter"
which does this (and has a couple of other features).

Perhaps you need to play arount with the orientation option
(-o orientation=n, where n 0s a number 0 to 3) to get the proper
output with the original pstops filter.

At our site, using both alternate filters, we simply emit
lp -d printername e002379200.pdf
to get a printout that looks OK. I need to note that all our
printers are configured to use the PPDs shrink to fit
option by default (in case of a HP printer "DefaultHPPaperPolicy: NearestSizeAdjust")

Helge

Helge

--
Helge Blischke