CUPS 3.1.2 compile error on Solaris 10 U4

Evan Bradley ebradley at williams-int.com
Tue Sep 25 10:40:14 PDT 2007

Hello,

I am trying to install CUPS 3.1.2 from source on a SUNBlade 1000 running Solaris 10 U4.  The configure runs fine (./configure --prefix=/opt/cups/3.1.2) but make produces the following error:

[CODE]
[285-sleepy at unixbuild-/local/cups-1.3.2] make
Making all in cups...
Compiling adminutil.c...
sh: gssapi -- use : not found
*** Error code 1
The following command caused the error:
gcc  -Wshadow -Wunused -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -fPIC -Os -g  -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE    -I.. /usr/bin/krb5-config: Unknown option `gssapi' -- use `--help' for usage  /usr/bin/krb5-config: Unknown option `gssapi' -- use `--help' for usage   -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE   -c adminutil.c
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `adminutil.o'
Current working directory /local/cups-1.3.2/cups
*** Error code 1
The following command caused the error:
for dir in cups backend berkeley cgi-bin filter locale man monitor  notifier pdftops scheduler systemv test    conf data doc fonts ppd templates; do\
        echo Making all in $dir... ;\
        (cd $dir ; make ) || exit 1;\
done
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
[/CODE]

When I examine the output from the configure step, I see the following pertaining to Kerberos and gssapi:

[CODE]
checking for krb5-config... /usr/bin/krb5-config
checking krb5.h usability... no
checking krb5.h presence... no
checking for krb5.h... no
checking gssapi.h usability... no
checking gssapi.h presence... no
checking for gssapi.h... no
checking gssapi/gssapi.h usability... no
checking gssapi/gssapi.h presence... no
checking for gssapi/gssapi.h... no
checking gssapi/gssapi_generic.h usability... no
checking gssapi/gssapi_generic.h presence... no
checking for gssapi/gssapi_generic.h... no
checking gssapi/gssapi_krb5.h usability... no
checking gssapi/gssapi_krb5.h presence... no
checking for gssapi/gssapi_krb5.h... no
checking for gsskrb5_register_acceptor_identity... no
checking for krb5_cc_new_unique... no
[/CODE]

A 'locate gssapi' and 'locate krb5' both include the standard location of /usr/bin/include.  I have tried manually setting the CPPFLAGS variable to /usr/bin/include, but it made no difference in either the configure output or the make results.

Also, I ran 'krb-config --help' as is mentioned in the make error, which produced the following:

[CODE]
 krb5-config --help
Usage: /usr/bin/krb5-config [OPTIONS] [LIBRARIES]
        [--help]          Help
        [--all]           Display version, vendor, and various values
        [--version]       Version information
        [--vendor]        Vendor information
        [--prefix]        Kerberos installed prefix
        [--exec-prefix]   Kerberos installed exec_prefix
        [--cflags]        Compile time CFLAGS
        [--libs]          List libraries required to link [LIBRARIES]
Libraries:
        krb5              Kerberos 5 application
[/CODE]

I can provide any further information that may be needed, and I thank you in advance for your help.

sleepy