Problems printing PDF files through cups.

Gerald Britton gerald.britton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 07:27:34 PDT 2007

I'm running CUPS 1.2.8 on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04.  I have a PDF file that I want to print.  I issue the command:

lp -d printername myfile.pdf

The results are not good.  The printout is scaled up about 8 times so I only get a bit of the top left corner

Next, I add "-o pdftops"

This time, all I get from the printer is a blank page!

After reading the pdftops filter, I noticed the option "pdf-page" so I added "-o pdf-page=letter" to the command.  This time the output is scaled  down about 50% but it is cut off on the right.

Next, i add "-o landscape".  My full command now is:

lp -d printername -o pdftops -o pdf-page=letter -o landscape myfile.pdf

Thinking this would do it, I went to the printer only to find that the landscape option had apparently been ignored.  The output is still printed with portrait orientation and cut off on the right hand side. (Scaling was the same at about 50%)

I'm desperate to know how to print my file with landscape orientation and scaled to fit letter-sized paper.

Printer info:

</Printer>
<DefaultPrinter printer0198>
Info HP 9040mfp via ipp