[cups.general] Problems printing PDF files through cups.

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Sep 26 11:12:16 PDT 2007

Gerald Britton wrote:
> The good news is that your attachment made it through and didn't
> crash.  The bad news is that the basic situation is really unchanged:
>
> - I tried many permutations of orientation, pdf-paper (including
> match) and fitplot.  All results are the same, the middle of the pdf
> is printed about 1/2 scale at the top of the printable area - portrait
> only.  I can't get landscape to work to save my life!
>
> - Now, the printer always requests a manual page feed of 12x18 (the
> original size). With the old pstops filter then new page size was
> passed through and I got no prompt at the printer
>
> - the new pstops runs a lot longer (2-3 times) than the old one.
>
> On 9/26/07, Helge Blischke <h.blischke at srz.de> wrote:
>
>>Gerald Britton wrote:
>>
>>>OK -- Where can I find it?  If it is a "c" program, what do I need to
>>>compile it?
>>>

>>[...]
>>>>

>>I try to append the precompiled Linux version here.
>>If that does not work, send me an e-mail off the list
>>for me to reply to your propoer address.
>>
>>For information and documentation, you should get the
>>pstops.txt from http://www.srz.de/Members/bla/cups/filter/1.1.18
>>(see also the links on the CUPS web site).
>>
>>Do not forget to save the original pstops filter for safety reasons.
>>
>>Helge
>>

>>--
>>Helge Blischke
>>Softwareentwicklung
>>
>>H.Blischke at acm.org

 From your log file I learn that you use the hpijs driver for the printer
in question. But the printer is also a native PostScript printer, according to the
PPD recommended:
http://openprinting.org/foomatic-db/db/source/PPD/HP/HP_LaserJet_9040_9050_MFP.ppd

And, as the PPD says it is a level 3 printer, you should add
-o HPOption_PaperPolicy=NearestSizeAdjust
to the job options. I suspect the default configuration is set
to PromptUser, as you say the printer asks for the 12x18 media size.

The alternate psrops filter still ignores the fitplot option, as this
is a standard feature for (nearly) all level 2 and level 3 PostScript
printers. If that works, you should add this option to the
default options for this printer.

from the PPD:
*HPOption_PaperPolicy NearestSizeAdjust/Nearest Size and Scale: "
    <</DeferredMediaSelection false /Policies << /PageSize 3 >> >> setpagedevice"
*End

Helge

--
Helge Blischke