[cups.general] Problems printing PDF files through cups.

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Sep 28 06:36:06 PDT 2007

Gerald Britton wrote:
> Amazing!  I did not know you could simply ftp a file to the printer.

A *lot* of printers support this. Or use "rcp" to put files there...

> I just did the same thing with the same files I sent to you and they
> printed correctly!
>
> Now if I could just issue an lp command and achieve the same result....
>
> I ran the command:
>
> lp -d ps0198 /tmp/pstops.out

The lp command invokes your CUPS's filtering chain too, and this does
in term use your somehow buggy $pdftops setup...

If you used "lp -d ps0198 -o raw /tmp/pstops.out" it would send the
same job as a "raw" one, bypassing all additional filtering that would
otherwise be invoked.

Anyway, the files I sent you, produced with the exact command I quoted,
do proof that the original CUPS pdftops does work as promised. If it
does not for you, your own printing system's setup must have been b0rken
by someone...

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS