[cups.development] rotating CUPS raster images

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Wed Sep 26 23:41:45 PDT 2007

Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm working on a CUPS filter that takes application/vnd.cups-raster as
>> its input.  Dependent on print conditions, I need to rotate the image
>> 90, 180 or 270 degrees to "work around hardware limitations".
>>
>> I've read the CUPS raster API docs (http://localhost:631/help/) but I
>> didn't really find what I was looking for.  If somebody could provide
>> a cluebat, I'd appreciate it.  Just a pointer to extra documentation
>> or some sample code would be fine.
>>
>> Note, still has to work with CUPS 1.1.x and later.
>
> You'll have to rotate the image yourself or express the supported
> media size in landscape so CUPS rotates it for you.

Thanks for the feedback.
For the 90 and 270 degree cases your landscape suggestion may be
useful.  For 180 degrees I guess I'm stuck with doing the rotation
myself.

> CUPS will normally handle the usual orientation requests from the
> user for you - why/when are you needing to do the rotation yourself?

To "work around hardware limitations" for envelopes and for A5 media.
These need to be fed in ways such that the normal application output
does not end up where it should :-(

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen             FLOSS Engineer -- EPSON AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/