[cups.general] Security and lp command and -u option

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Apr 1 03:49:16 PDT 2008

Hello,

On Apr 1 09:28 Jerome Alet wrote (shortened):
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 07:16:47AM -0700, cedric chambault wrote:
> > lp command has a "-U" option to specify USERNAME.
> > but if a student, username "student1" type "lp -U student2 file"
> > it prints "file" using the "student2" account.
> ... is this because CUPS lacks the functionnality to ensure users
> really are who they claim they are ?

According to how I understand it, how should a service running
on a server machine know who the user is "behind" a client program
on a remote client system without special authentication?

See "man cancel"
Administrators  wishing  to  prevent  unauthorized cancellation
of jobs via the -u option should require authentication
for Cancel-Jobs operations in cupsd.conf(5).

Since CUPS 1.2 see also
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/policies.html

Since CUPS 1.3 Kerberos might be useful to avoid an explicite
authentication dialog for each job submission (or whatever
else IPP operation an authentication requires), see
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/kerberos.html

By the way:

Think about a user who makes his own IPP client program
which can send whatever he likes to the CUPS server.

Think about a user who is root on his own laptop so that
he can run arbitrary programs to receive and send
arbitrary stuff via network.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex