[cups.general] Security and lp command and -u option

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue Apr 1 19:08:14 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 01:03:13PM -0700, Michael R Sweet wrote:
> Jerome Alet wrote:
> > Is there is a way for the CUPS server to require the password for the
> > username specified with -U (and not for the user who launched the lp
> > command) ?
>
> Not generally, although the peer credential stuff will work this
> way for domain socket connections on 1.3 and higher.

OK, so if I understand correctly, third party tools like PrintAgent
or PyKotIcon really are necessary to support the general case : ensure
the username and password are checked locally on the CUPS server
which manages physical printers, while being directly asked (over
the network) to the remote end user, even if the end user has to hop
over several CUPS servers to send a job to a physical printer ?

Couldn't CUPS support such a (configurable) functionnality natively
in the future ?

Of course a cross-platform (preferably) client side app would be
needed but I'm willing to contribute my own code which does just
this for inclusion in CUPS if you ask
(working-but-soon-to-be-rewritten-for-over-a-year-now).

bye

Jerome Alet