[cups.general] starting with cups

B. Cook bcook at poughkeepsieschools.org
Wed Apr 2 06:12:06 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I am just starting out with cups.  I was looking to see what I could
get it to do, to help our printing situation.

We have a mix of win98, win2k, winxp, os9, osx.

I'd like to see what I can do with authentication, quotas, and having
simpler drivers on workstations or pushing them what they need to print.

One of the questions I have is;  Cups uses PPDs, so since cups already
has the 'drivers' what would you set the 'driver' to be on a
workstation?  Would you set it to the same?

Like if I had an hp5000 defined in cups, and cups can print to that
printer when access that printer on a workstation via cups, what
driver would I use? 'generic postscript' or 'text only' or would I
again use the hp5000 driver?

Also is there guide/manual to getting started with cups for using at a
print server for workstations?  Or is cups just for unix hosts wanting
to print?

Thanks in advance.