[cups.general] copy configurations

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Apr 4 07:50:34 PDT 2008

Hello,

On Apr 4 07:03 Marc Ziegenhagen wrote:
> We have the problem that we replace a server with a newer one
> and we want to copy all teh defined printers to the new server
> (there are about 90 queues). How we can export/import the
> cups-configurations or read the configurations on one server
> an rebuild them on the other server.
> The old-server runs with SuSE-Linux 8.1 and the new server with
> OpenSuSE 10.3. So there also too different cups versions in use.

Read
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
in particular see
Do not edit the configuration files in /etc/cups/ manually
if suitable command-line tools are available for this purpose.
For example, to set up the same queues on several machines
(e.g., for a backup server), do not copy /etc/cups/printers.conf
and /etc/cups/ppd/*, but write the respective commands in a script
(usually a sequence of lpadmin commands) and run the script on
the various machines.
..
..
..
Up to SUSE LINUX 10.1 we provided CUPS 1.1 and since openSUSE 10.2
we provide CUPS 1.2 which is not fully backward compatible
with CUPS 1.1. Therefore in case of an update it is recommended
not to use an outdated cupsd.conf from a CUPS 1.1 installation
before but to start from scratch with the original cupsd.conf
from our CUPS 1.2 RPM.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex