CUPS- HTTP Content-Length issue

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Apr 4 08:29:47 PDT 2008

rahulmode wrote:
> I noticed that in CUPS1.1.23, when I connect to the server using
>
>          # nc 10.10.220.231 631
>            POST /printers/printer/ HTTP/1.1
>
>            \n
>            \n
>

> --------------------------------
>
> It's clear from the  source code that, it waits for  2147483647 Number of Bytes !!!!! This may result in possible DOS.
>
> Regarding this issue, I got no info on the forums!
> So please, can someone tell why is this issue not handled ..
> is this a feature?  if yes how ??

Well, first you might test with a newer release - 1.1.23 is very
old.  If the same problem occurs with 1.3.7, please file a bug
report:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

Second, there are a lot of ways to do Denial-of-Service attacks on
any network service, and adding a length check for Content-Length
won't prevent them...