PDF printing from Windows

Seth Galitzer sgsax at ksu.edu
Fri Apr 4 11:04:09 PDT 2008

Alright, I've hit a serious problem and am hoping somebody can give me
advice on how to deal with it.  On a fairly consistent basis, if a
Windows client sends a PDF file to any CUPS queue, the CUPS server takes
a huge performance hit (the larger the file, the greater the hit) and
then eventually dies processing the file.  I've tweaked the settings so
the the whole server or queue doesn't die, only the job.

My guess is that pdftops may be the culprit, but I don't know for sure.
 I was hoping I could either a) force CUPS to use pdf2ps instead of
pdftops or b) not do the conversion at all and just send the PDF file as
is to the printer, since all of my printers are PS-enabled and should be
able to also handle PDF natively.

We do a lot of PDF printing here, so this is a big deal.

Version info:
CUPS: 1.3.5
cups-windows: 6.0
poppler: 0.6.1
ghostscript (gpl): 8.61

I'll be happy to provide further information.  Any suggestions are
appreciated.

Thanks.
Seth

--