printers.conf

Oskar Hajek oh at ceus-it.com
Mon Apr 7 08:43:52 PDT 2008

> Oskar Hajek wrote:
> > Hello,
> > is it possible to reload the printers.conf w/o hanging up cupsd?
>
> No, but you can use lpadmin, the web interface, or the
> CUPS_ADD_MODIFY_PRINTER and CUPS_DELETE_PRINTER IPP operation to add,
> modify, or delete printers without restarting cupsd.
>
> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

Hi Michael,
we are currently running 2 independent CUPS Server for SAP environment with about 1500 defined printers.
It would be nice to create a printer definition on one cups server and synchronize it to the second one. I tried to schedule an update of printers.conf via crontab over a rsync script and reloaded the cups configuration afterwards.
But under heavy printing load, SAP seems to stuck and cannot connect to the printing port anymore after cupsd was reloaded/restarted. The only way to get SAP Spool System up & running again, is to change and change back  the spool-server inside SAP.
Any idea how i am able to keep the printer definition synchron w/o reloading/restarting cupsd?

Thank you in Advance