CUPS "Unable to Connect to CUPS server, check options." Error / STDIN is empty, no job sent Error

Mitchell Hensley mitchell.hensley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 08:48:46 PDT 2008

We have recently made a change to our network, by adding a windows domain, and have changed the DNS on the server containing CUPS.

I am currently running Red Hat 9 and an old version of CUPS.

After the change of domain to our local machines and the DNS change on the CUPS server, when I open the cups shortcut I get the:

"Unable to Connect to CUPS server, check options."

If I proceed, all of my printer settings are gone, but if I go to options and change the server address to 127.0.0.1:631 all of my settings retrieve.  I am able to access the printer admin screen from a web browser.

After I have changed the server in CUPS to 127.0.0.1 I can make changes as normal to all of my printers, but when I click "OK" to exit I get the error:

"Stdin is empty, no job sent"  which does not save the server name change I made, and I am still unable to print.

I have very minimal linux knowledge and have not used CUPS much, and have been handed a system that was already setup and configured.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitchell Hensley