How to prompt for a printer-internal user-id and password?

Michael Herrmann michael at intakt-musikinstitut.de
Mon Apr 7 11:10:53 PDT 2008

Hi,

I have a Canon IR2740C Multifunctional Printer, set up with several printer-internal user-ids and passwords.
Within the printer-config (inside the machine itself, not by cups) you can set up any restrictions for any user you like, for example user 1 can only make A4 copies black and white, but user 2 can make A3 copies, even coloured.
All our Linux-Clients using cups do their printing jobs via printing by port 991 and using a local ppd.

When printing from a windows client each time you print a message dialog box appears and asks for your user id and your password.
That's what I also want to appear at our linux clients.

What can I do to make such a dialog box prompting for userid and password appear?

We have only 6 clients and no dedicated printing-server. All clients are printing via cups.

(using Suse 10.2 on all clients)

Thanks for your help - at the suse mailing list no one knows an answer...)

Michael