copy configurations

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon Apr 7 12:00:50 PDT 2008

Marc Ziegenhagen wrote:

>>>Hello Helge
>>>
>>>This files I know, but this files haven't the original filename from the ppd-files in the directory
>>>        /usr/share/cups/model
>>>But to install with the lpadmin I need the original-name of the files in the /usr/share/cups/model. So my question is how I find out this original filenames?
>>>
>>>Marc Ziegenhagen

>>You do not need to reinstall these printers. All information
>>you need is contained in printers.conf and the said PPD files.
>>I suspect there is no way to regain the original PPD names
>>from the model directory.
>>
>>Helge
>>
>>--
>>Helge Blischke
>>Softwareentwicklung
>>
>>H.Blischke at acm.org
>

> Hello Helge
>
> On my system in the moment I have a the following file in the /etc/cups/pdd directory:
> hplj4000.ppd
> hplj4000pan.ppd
> oki5300.ppd
> oki5300pan.ppd
>
> But on the new system there has no such ppd-file, there exists only the original ones like HP/LaserJet_4000_Postscript.ppd.gz.
> So how can I generate on the new system this printers when I not can take the name of the original pdd file somewhere on the old system?
>
> Marc Ziegenhagen

(1) shut down cupsd on both systems
(2) copy the above files to the /etc/cups/ppd directory on the new
     system
(3) copy the old system's printers.conf to the new system
(4) restart cupsd (at least on the new system).

Note: the /etc/cups/ppd/oki5300pan.ppd has just this name
because there is a printer named oki5300pan defined and
configured.

The result of setting up a printer via the lpadmin command or
the web interface is just the said PPD file (with all default settings
set up in this file) and the entry for this printer in printers.conf file.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung