[cups.general] copy configurations

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Apr 8 02:12:00 PDT 2008

Hello,

On Apr 7 00:41 Marc Ziegenhagen wrote (shortened):
> .. I have the problem to find out where I can get the original names
> of the ppd-files of defined printer queues on the old system.

For PostScript printers I recommend to re-use the old PPDs
if you are satisfied with the old PPDs.
PostScript printer PPDs have no '*cupsFilter' entry.
Copy old-system:/etc/cups/ppd/<file>.ppd to a directory
new-system:/usr/share/cups/model/my_old_postscript_ppds/
and use them via "lpadmin ... -P ..." on the new system.

For non-PostScript printers I recommend to use the new PPDs
from the new system because new drivers and/or drivers versions
may need an exact matching PPD (e.g. GimpPrint/Gutenprint).
For those printers get the NickName entry of the old system PPDs:
grep '^\*NickName' old-system:/etc/cups/ppd/*.ppd
and then try to find them in new-system:/usr/share/cups/model/
for example use the "lpinfo -l -m" output on the new system.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex