Page 84, section 5.9 CUPS book

Jorge Bilbao jorgebadad at bol.com.br
Tue Apr 8 11:52:59 PDT 2008

Thanks for answering,

The machine that I am using is not MAC (it is PC), and not the OS is the X, is Linux (Big Linux, one Brazilian  linux distro, based on Debian), therefore the software of PrinterSetup does not serve for me. I prefer to wait and to know what it is written in Page 84, section 5.9 CUPS Book.
It follows relation of commands that I am using to install the printer, supplied for the Canon Asia.

CANON PIXMA IP 1800

This section describes how to install a printer driver in Fedora Core 6.
If you want to install the printer driver, start Linux and log in as root.
Preparation
 Installing the insufficient package
Depending on the selected installation type, the package required to install the printer driver may not be installed.
If such is the case, install the following packages before installing the printer driver:
 libxml-1.8.17-xxx.i386.rpm
 gtk+-1.2.xxx.i386.rpm
Make sure to install it as shown below:
# rpm -ivh gtk+-1.2.xxx.i386.rpm --nodeps
 glib-1.2.xxx.i386.rpm
 Changing the SELinux settings
The following settings are required if you cannot perform the printing operation:
1) Select [System] - [Administration] - [Security Level and Firewall] from the desktop panel.
2) Change the [SELinux Setting] on the [SELinux] tab to [Permissive].
 Connecting the printer
Before installing the printer driver, connect the computer and the printer with a USB cable and turn on the printer.
 Preparing the printer driver rpm
Before using the printer driver, you must install the "common package" and the "model-specific package."
 cnijfilter-common-2.70-x.i386.rpm -------- Common package
 cnijfilter-ip1800series-2.70-x.i386.rpm -------- Model-specific package
Download the above .rpm files from the Canon Web site in advance.
(Where "2.70-x" in the above .rpm files is the version number.)
Install

1. Install printer driver.
Install the printer driver in order of the "common package" and the "model-specific package" by using the rpm command from the command line of the terminal software.
1) Installing the common package
[root at zzz /yyy]# rpm -ivh cnijfilter-common-2.70-x.i386.rpm
2) Installing the model-specific package
[root at zzz /yyy]# rpm -ivh cnijfilter-ip1800series-2.70-x.i386.rpm

Refer to the following URL for the detailed information about the rpm command:
http://www.rpm.org/

2. Restart the CUPS daemon.
Enter the following from the command line of the terminal software:
[root at zzz /yyy]# /etc/init.d/cups restart

Do not register the printer with the lpadmin command before you restart the CUPS daemon.

3. Register the printer to the spooler.
Register the printer to the spooler by using the lpadmin command from the command line of the terminal software. You can specify the desired name as the [printer_name].
/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer_name] -m [PPD_filename] -v [device_URI] -E
If you specify IP1800 as the [printer_name]:
[root at zzz /yyy]# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p IP1800 -m canonip1800.ppd -v cnij_usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E

***************************************
 Obs.: After these up command, the system return the following answer:

lpadmin: Unable to copy PPD file!

 and the printer don't install!
**************************************

4. Set the default printer.
Set the default printer to be used when the [printer_name] is omitted in the print command from the command line of the terminal software.
/usr/sbin/lpadmin -d [printer_name]
Example:
[root at zzz /yyy]# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -d IP1800

5. Restart the computer.

The following settings are required for printing with the Driver UI of the cif command:
 Run the gdmsetup command.
 Select the [Security] tab and uncheck the [Deny TCP connections to Xserver] check box.
 Reboot the system.

The Status Monitor may not be displayed properly if the LAN environment has been configured and the IP address has been specified.
If such is the case, make sure to perform the configuration specified at 6 in "Restriction of the Status Monitor."

Thanks
George Adad
Manaus-Brazil