[cups.general] Page 84, section 5.9 CUPS book

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Tue Apr 8 15:50:26 PDT 2008

Hi,

> The machine that I am using is not MAC (it is PC), and not the OS is
> the X, is Linux (Big Linux, one Brazilian  linux distro, based on
> Debian), therefore the software of PrinterSetup does not serve for me.

PrinterSetup will work quite happily with Debian. It has been tested
with version 3.1 and should work with later versions as well.

However, If you still want to use lpadmin directly, then have a look
at lpadmin man page.

This is taken from the lpadmin on Mac OS X, however I believe that
Debian also uses the same flag for specifying a full PPD path with
lpadmin.

>   -P ppd-file
>             Specifies a PostScript Printer Description file to  use
> with  the
>             printer. If specified, this option overrides the -i
> option (inter-
>             face script).

My guess is that the installer may have given the PPD a different name
from what you are specifying on the your command.

There may also be another issues with your command. However, you could
first try to locate the PPD in the file system and then replace the -m
with -P and specify the complete path to the PPD. Alternatively, there
could be a problem with the installer or like I mentioned above it
could have installed a PPD with a different name.

> /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p IP1800 -m canonip1800.ppd -v cnij_usb:/dev/usb/
> lp0 -E

The problem could be something else entirely. However, it looks like
lpadmin is unable to find the PPD you have specified. I would try to
find the PPD in the file system as a first step.

I hope this helps.