cannot exceed 132 columns with lpd

Daniel Schmidt dschmidt at buddyrents.com
Tue Apr 8 18:26:35 PDT 2008

I'm using cups 1.2.4 on RHEL 5.

I'm trying to print a 135 column report from Linux to a Brother HL-1440 on a
Windows XP SP2 system, using LPD.
Per the RFC, the Windows LPD is defaulting to 132 columns in raw mode, but
according the lpr man page, the w control character I would use to override
the default is disabled.

I have tried both the standard laserjet.ppd, and the recommended
foomatic:Brother-HL-1440-hl1250.ppd

Interestingly, I could get laserjet.ppd to print up to 132 columns at
cpi=17, but the foomatic one seemed capped at 80 regardless of cpi setting.

Additionally, if I set cpi any higher than 17, or failed to specify a
page-right option, laserjet.ppd would also start wrapping at 80 columns.

I would like to be able to print 135 columns at 18 cpi.  Any suggestions are
greatly appreciated.