cups + Samba on Solaris 10 x86 Problem printing with Banner

Robert Beaty beatyrm at auburn.edu
Thu Apr 10 13:46:51 PDT 2008

I will detail my setup first then describe the problem and try and provide information about logging.

Solaris 10 x86
CUPS 1.2.7 CSW pre-compiled pkg
Samba 3.0.28a - Compiled locally

Samba is using cups as its print system and printcap.

I have a HP Laserjet 5Si which I have been running tests on. It is using jetdirect and CUPS has it socket://x.x.x.x:9100

I installed foomatic_filters and imported printer ppd's.

First test: Add printer to client and print.
-> This test was successful. I could both install the printer on my laptop and print a document. Everything went well and cups correctly documented the page count of the job.

Second test: Enable a starting banner page (in CUPS) for the print through Samba.
-> Here is were the problem occurs, I get just a banner page here. The banner comes out looking great but no document ever prints and CUPS has unknown listed for the page count on the job.

Third test: Do a test page through CUPS for the printer.
-> Here everything works fine, I get both the banner and document plus CUPS has the page count correct.

I have tried compiling CUPS myself, a pre-compiled samba and the current setup in various combinations. This has no appreciable effect as the problem always seems to replicate.

I won't post the actual log entries as they are very long unless someone thinks they will be useful. I will explain what shows up though. Samba sees everything as going great. I get a connection, a print and a close without errors. CUPS shows my connection to the printer in access and the disconnect. The CUPS error log just shows the print going through both the banner page and the document. Foomatic-rip log goes through both the banner and the document without any error codes as well.

>From everything I can tell in the logs it printed, just never physically makes it out. I greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
-Robert