printing files from within Unix(i.e., Terminal) to printer attached to Mac

Bobby Goodwin bobby.goodwin at comcast.net
Tue Apr 15 09:38:40 PDT 2008

How do I print an ordinary Unix ascii text file created in Unix (i.e., Terminal) with any of the standard Unix text editors (ex, vim, etc.), to the Canon PIXMA MP460 printer attached to my Mac Pro? I need to do this by such means so that NO alteration or interpretation of any type, especially page formatting and font processing, is performed, AND so that ordinary ascii control characters perform their usual functions (e.g., form feed character causes a page eject, because I need to do my own pagination). In other words, I think I need to print in some type of raw mode to the printer, which may require that I print the file from within Unix. How do I do this?