how to print directly to network printer using command line lp... ?

ekkard gerlach jack at aiai.de
Wed Apr 16 05:23:40 PDT 2008

I've  brother HL5250DN. Suse 10.2 finds the printer and I can print with
e.g. OpenOffice and it works. But how can I print using lp on command
line (bash scripts)?

I tried as root:
arthur:~ # lp -h laser -d pc16_ps ttt.ps
lp: Not Found
arthur:~ # lp -h laser  ttt.ps
lp: Fehler - Scheduler antwortet nicht!
The same when using IP instead of "laser"

ping laser works! (IP 10.0.0.116)

looking in printer.conf how OpenOffice prints:
<Printer hl5250>
Info hl5250 Laser
Location PC16
DeviceURI ipp://10.0.0.116:631/ipp
State Idle
StateTime 1208290778
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

Is ipp the queue??
arthur:~ # lp -h hl5250 -d ipp ttt.ps
lp: Not Found

Printing to the CUPS-Queue on Suse 10.2 works:
lp -d hl5250  ttt.ps
But I want to print directly, NOT using the local queue. Where ist my fault?

thx
Ekkard