[cups.general] how to print directly to network printer usingcommand line lp... ?

ekkard gerlach jack at aiai.de
Wed Apr 16 09:48:13 PDT 2008

Norm Jacobs schrieb:
> Presumably, you will not be able to print to it directly with the CUPS
> client commands.  The last time I looked carefully at their
ok.
> implementation, they made some CUPS specific IPP requests before they
> actually used the IPP print-job or create-job/send-document sequence.
> It's unlikely that your printer implements the necessary CUPS IPP
> extensions, but stranger things have been known to happen.
> There are implementations of IPP that would allow you to send your job
> data directly to the printer.  The CUPS ipp backend module is one, the
> OpenPrinting PAPI implementation is another, and I expect that there are
> others.  You might also be able to send your job data over a raw TCP
> socket connection (usually to port 9100) or port 515 using rfc-1179
> protocol.
I remember, a MFC7820 Laserprinter is used in one customers office via
9100, but also using CUPS backend.

> This all begs the question, why do you want to bypass the queue?
I thought I make only a little fault, I wanted to print to the HL5250
postscript printer directly with less effort. But it seem to be not very
easy to bypass, so I print using CUPS backend, okay! Thats all what I
wanted to know.

thx Norm!
Ekkard