[cups.general] CUPS 1.3.6, Linksys PSUS4, jobs never complete

Ace ace_rules_bbs at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 16 14:51:09 PDT 2008

Michael R Sweet wrote:

> Ace wrote:
>>
>>> L.S.
>>>

>>> I recently decoupled my printer from a desktop computer in an effort to
>>> simplify things for the other networked computers, i.e. not having to
>>> keep one machine running just for a printer..
>>> I deleted the printer from CUPS and re-set up the printer with IPP URL
>>> and the same driver it used when it was still connected directly by USB.
>>>
>>> Mandriva 2008 Free + CUPS 1.3.6 => Linksys PSUS4 fw1.1 via IPP => hp
>>> photosmart 7350 colour printer.
>>>
>>> The driver used is named "HP PhotoSmart 7350 Foomatic/hpijs
>>> (recommended)".
>>>
>>> In the above, CUPS connects to the PSUS4 via IPP to the printer.
>>> What happens is, I can print 1 job from this Linux machine.
>>> After that, I can't do anything, because the first job never completes,
>>> it is 'stuck' in the processing queue indefinitely and the printer will
>>> forever show as 'processing..., accepting jobs'.
>>>
>>> If I print from a Windows machine, everything is fine.
>>> So i'm assuming something needs to be done inside CUPS.
>>>
>>> Any ideas would be appreciated!
>>
>> Pretty please? :)
>
> The Linksys implementation has been broken for a long time.  You can
> report the problem to them or use an alternate protocol (LPD or
> socket on port 4010 is the usual path...)

Hmm, that sorta kinda doesn't explain it though..
Windows clients can print, their jobs complete, and internally on the PSUS4
I can see nothing remaining in the queue, and the printer shows idle..
To me it looks like it is CUPS that is waiting for something to happen,
while it already happened.. the logic there escapes me i'm afraid :/
The device requires no drivers to function, only the printer does.
I haven't seen a note in the manual about LPD being supported, but I will
have a look and see how far I can get this weekend.
Thanks!