How to access a printer via its DEVICE_URI?

Justin Huang justin.huang at liteon.com
Wed Apr 16 20:35:33 PDT 2008

I am trying to develop an application for monitoring a specific printer. The printer could be USB connected. Currently, I can enumerate the drivers by using IPP APIs or CUPS APIs. I also know how to get the DEVICE URI string for a certain driver. The DEVICE URI may look like this:
  usb://manufacturer_name/model_name

I am looking for a method to convert this string into another string which represents the physical device, e.g. "/dev/usb/lp01". With the physical device string, I can "open" it and then do bi-directional communication with the printer directly.

Am I doing my job in the correct direction?