[cups.general] How to get filename

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Apr 17 01:23:02 PDT 2008

Hello,

On Apr 16 14:31 fifou wrote (shortened):
> ... I print from Suse over OPenOffice
> I can't find anyway to get filename of my printed job

There is no filename value in the (meta)-data of a print job
because a filename value is meaningless for a print job
(it doesn't matter where the data comes form, from a file
or from stdout from a program or from whereever).

All what is available is the job title, see "man filter".

When an application program prints, it sets usually an
appropriate value for the job title (e.g. browsers may
use the URL of the web page as job title - another example
why a filename value is meaningless for a print job).

If in your case OOo does not set a job title, there is nothing
you can do in the printing system to get one afterwards.
In this case the issue must be addressed in OOo.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex