Maximum number of printer queue's

Kjell kjell.grindalen at nsa.no
Fri Apr 18 00:46:20 PDT 2008

> Kjell wrote:
> > Hello everyone
> >
> > I have a very general question, how many printer queue's can cups handle
> > Can it handle more then 1500 queues? How many of thoose queues can I send data to simultainously? Can I for instance send 4-5000 sheets to thoose queues.
>
> That depends entirely on the system you use.
>
> We regularly test configuration with 10000 queues to ensure that CUPS
> can scale that large, however actual performance will depend on the
> type of printers used, how they are connected, and the CPUs, memory,
> and disk you have.
>
> We used to have an "estimator" page on the easysw.com page which
> provided guidelines for CPU, memory, disk, and configuration options.
> I'll look at getting this page up on cups.org...
>
> In the meantime, you'll find that PostScript printers require less
> CPU and memory than non-PostScript printers, and you can use the
> FilterLimit directive to control how many jobs are printed
> simultaneously.
>
> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

Thank you very much for the answer, I would really love to see such an configurator,or some other means of guide to how to size a large installation. A possible large migration project will require me to have some sort of measurement criteria for setting up a linux/unix counterpart to a windows print server

Also I am happy to hear that cups is usable for large installation, since the Novell pages claims that cups is only usable for small to medium sized print environment, and hence you should go for iPrint that can support several hundreds(?) of printer queues :-)