Printing to Xerox with Xerox Standard Accountingenabled

fifou pchapuis1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 05:19:57 PDT 2008

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 08:06:23AM -0700, Shawn K. wrote:
> > At work, I have to print to a Xerox 7345 WorkCenter that has Xerox
> > Standard Accounting enabled.  Windows users get a prompt when they
> > print to enter a group number (in my case, 50), so that total
> > printed pages can be tracked by group.  I get no such prompt with
> > the Linux/CUPS/xerox ppd file.  I only get a series of beeps and a
> > 016-757 error (invalid password). I have tried adding things to the
> > url (ipp://192.168.0.22/ipp/?password=50, etc.).  I have tried
> > creating a user with the name of the group and printing with that,
> > but nothing works.  Does anyone have any insight?
>
> I can suggest you something that **may** be illegal or not, but that
> is probably at least not in accordance with your company's IT rules.
> So decide for yourself if you want to do it this way :
>
> Simply install the printer's standard PPD file on your CUPS server,
> then direct all printing for this queue to socket://192.168.0.22:9100
>
> This particular setup worked perfectly the last time I've checked,
> but it was for a different brand of printers (I won't give more
> details).
>
> NB : It may not work if your print admin has correctly configured the printer
> to disable unwanted protocols, or if there's some firewalling between
> your computer and the printer, or if your printer is smarter than the
> ones I've checked this "feature" on, or for any other reason. As always
> YMMV, but I certify it worked for me.
>
> hth
>
> Jerome Alet

If XSA Xerox Standard Accoutning, is turned on on the device, you have to add header at the beginning of the PostScript file. This can be done with a filter. In the PPD you add the name of the filter and into this one you add specific command known by Xerox device.
To get these commands, the best way is to do an output file from Windows driver or by connecting to Xerox Web site you can get PDL guide.
http://www.office.xerox.com/support/dctips/dc_print.html
Hope this will help
Phil