CUPS 1.3.7 Compile problems on Solaris10 x86(Scheduler)

Robert Beaty beatyrm at auburn.edu
Thu Apr 24 07:21:08 PDT 2008

> Robert Beaty wrote:
> > I'll have to check on exactly which it was but I believe it was filter. It would die because it tried to run a sed command with the -r flag which doesn't exist at least for the sed in my Solaris install. All I did was go through and remove that particular flag from them and everything ran fine through the next compile. I'm not sure why it came up as I don't believe I did anything out of the ordinary. I did a standard ./configure --disable-gssapi then make and make install. Nothing special by any means beyond the disable there. Well I did a make clean before all that just to be safe but I don't imagine that should have caused any problems.
>
> Like I said (and just confirmed), the only sed commands we run in
> makefiles are for the "make depend" target, which does not need to
> be run by anyone except the CUPS developers.
>
> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

Well my best guess is I must have run a depend (for reasons unknown) a while back when I had first put the source onto the box. I abandoned compiling from source when I found pkg-get had cups. Of course that didn't work out because it was a very old version. Anyway, I appreciate all the help/details.

I do have one (hopefully last) problem now. Currently the CUPS accounting in the page_log isn't functioning correctly. No matter how many pages the print job is, whether or not there is multiple copies or if there is a banner page I get a single entry in page_log. It has the first page entry for each job and never records another. Also, just for completeness I've tried it on both a HP Laserjet 5SI and HP Laserjet 9050 and both suffer from this problem.

Setup details are:
  Samba 3.0.28a
  CUPS 1.3.7
  Solaris 10 x86
  Printer HP Lasterjet 5SI (usually what I'm testing on)

I could try and move to the absolute newest CUPS if that would possibly fix it. I think it was 1.4 some odd.

-Robert