[cups.general] Cups 1.2.7 and Suse 10.2 network printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Apr 25 00:12:12 PDT 2008

Hello,

On Apr 24 11:12 vos22201 wrote (shortened):
> I have a U.S. Robotics Wireless MAXg ADSL Gateway
> that has the option to connect a USB printer at
> http://192.168.1.1:1631/printers/canon450.

The URL "http..." indicates that something like
the IPP protocol should be used here.

Avoid to use the most complicated protocol (IPP)
to just send the prtinting data to the printserver box.
Instead try to use what is recommended, see below.

Note that Windows has only a somewhat incomplete IPP
implementation and many printserver boxes have broken
IPP implementations but "fortunately" the incomplete
stuff in Windows works with the broken stuff in certain
printserver boxes - obviously most manufactures of such
printserver boxes test their stuff only with Windows.

See
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html
in particular note
The AppSocket protocol (sometimes also called the
JetDirect protocol, owing to its origins with the
HP JetDirect network interfaces) is the simplest,
fastest, and generally the most reliable network
protocol used for printers.
IPP is the only protocol that CUPS supports natively
and is supported by some network printers and print
servers. However, since many printers do not implement
IPP properly, only use IPP when the vendor actually
documents official support for it.
LPD is the original network printing protocol and is
supported by many network printers. Due to limitations
in the LPD protocol, we do not recommend using it
if the printer or server supports one of the other
protocols.

Use a command like "nmap <IP-of-your-printserver-box>"
to get a list of open ports to find out which protocols
it supports.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex