[cups.general] Blank page printed after each job

Markus Meyer meyer at mesw.de
Wed Apr 30 03:37:10 PDT 2008

Johannes,

Johannes Meixner schrieb:
> I guess you have to configure your printserver box correctly
> so that it does no longer emit an additional formfeed character,

the printserver box (an Arcor EasyBox DSL/WLAN/USB) does not "emit an
additional formfeed character" when printing to the same printer from
Windows XP nor does the documentation mention such a feature. Also, the
box does not support the AppSocket protocol, so using it is out of
question. I now renamed the queue name from "lpt1" to "hp" according to
your suggestion, but the behaviour did not change.

> I can't believe that it is a problem to find possible answers
> via Google - at least I found several possible reasons
> and many answers.

I did find many people having the same problem on Google but no
definitive answers as to what would be the root cause of the problem.
You may have noticed that the three threads on the Cups mailing list I
provided links for all went unanswered. The same goes for the Ubuntu
forums, where other people expressed this same problem and did not get
an answer either. There is even a FAQ about this problem (see
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/CupsFAQ#Why_does_a_blank_page_print_for_every_print_job.3F),
but it says "The exact cause is unknown. There is one possible
workaround...". I tried this workaround but it does not change the
behaviour for me. It also is not inspiring confidence in CUPS if there
seems to be a long-standing issue where the "exact cause is unknown".
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, as I wrote I would even offer to
debug this myself if I was given a pointer on where to start. Instead
you are telling me to use Google which I already did.

Markus