Add a printer under HP-UX 11.23

Tim Plunkett tim_plunkett at praxair.com
Wed Apr 30 07:08:37 PDT 2008

> Tim Plunkett wrote:
> > I am attempting to replace the existing System V print queue on my HP-UX 11.23 server with CUPS.  I add a printer, for example, a Laserjet 4, with the CUPS-supplied driver 'HP LaserJet Series PCL 4/5, 1.3' and the URI 'ipp://bronze.psti.praxair.com/printers/islj4000'. When I print the test page, I get the following error: "Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!"
> > I have read about such errors, but am not sure if I even have the printer's URI defined correctly within CUPS.  How can I be sure my IPP is correct?  Any suggestions?
> > Printing works fine outside of CUPS.
>
> You need GPL Ghostscript to print to non-PostScript printers.
>
> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

Hello Michael,

  I thought my printer was postscript compatible.  My applications generate pdf files for output.  I use the pdftops utility to convert the output to postscript, then send those files via lp (without CUPS)  Are you saying that my HP Laserjet 4 printer is non-Postscript?  Sory if this is so innane - this is all new to me.