Determining host ip/computer name for a given printer

Adam Penny adam_penny at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 13 03:27:17 PDT 2008

Hi there,

What I'm trying to do is extend the basic wake printer host on print system that Robert and Jerome so kindly helped me with (tea4cups is still working a treat).

I've sussed out how to get mac addresses for a given host name when the computer's awake (figured the user could do a one-off arp poll with all the hosts awake to make an ip/computer name/mac address table)

What I'd like to know is whether cups has any preference/config files anywhere that tell you either the ip for the printer's host computer or the printer's host computer name, so that I can create a plist so that I can use the tea4cups $TEAPRINTERNAME variable to look up the relevant host name thus the mac address of the printers host.

Thanks.

Adam