SAMBA / CUPS

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Sun Aug 3 06:11:14 PDT 2008

> [printers]
>        comment = All printers
>        path = /var/spool/samba
>        browseable = no
>        public = yes
>        guest ok = yes
>        writable = yes
>        printable = yes
>        use client driver = no
>        printer admin = filled in properly

A "printer" share in Samba MUST have these settings

         printable = yes
         writeable = no
#        [read only = yes]

Any share definition in smb.conf that is tagged as "writeable = yes" may be interpreted by Samba to be a FILE share, not a printer share.

> We use windows clients and I am trying to set all printers in duplex
> mode. My problem is that I do it with a correct domain user but the
> setting sometimes is kept and sometimes is lost after sometime. Can
> someone tell me where these settings are stored ?

All printer related settings (like moste others) are stored in *.tdb Files (Trivial DataBase). Have a look at the "tdbdump" utility that you can create from the Samba sources (in case it does not ship with your distro's binary packages). The *tdb files may be located in "/var/lib/samba/" (depending on your distro packagers' preferences)...