socket doesnt exist, cannot create a printer

ed smith ed.smith at mcquay.com
Tue Aug 5 06:25:57 PDT 2008

Binaries for Cups 1.1.21 was recently installed on a solaris 10 server. Config of cups has been assigned to me. I cant get sockets to work.

root at usclsmcq003/>  lpadmin -p plyadm3 -v socket://172.16.1.34:9100  -P plyadm3.ppd
UX:lpadmin: ERROR: "socket://172.16.1.34:9100" doesn't exist.
           TO FIX: Create the file, special device, or FIFO
                   for the -v option before running this
                   command.
root at usclsmcq003/>

I also tried ipp just for the insight. no dice.

root at usclsmcq003/>
root at usclsmcq003/>  lpadmin -p plyadm3 -v ipp://172.16.1.34:9100  -P plyadm3.ppd
UX:lpadmin: ERROR: "ipp://172.16.1.34:9100" doesn't exist.
           TO FIX: Create the file, special device, or FIFO
                   for the -v option before running this
                   command.

There is a firewall between the server and the printers, but port 9100 is open both dirs, and I have had the firewall people monitor the FW when I attempt to create the printer and they do not see an attempt to trespass. I am wondering if cups ever really took hold of this server.
cupsd and lpsched are up. what did I forget? haven't encounterd this before. what did I miss? I am under extreme deadline in mfg environment. help!
Thanks!
Ed Smith