Printing access problems

Christer cvo at terma.com
Wed Aug 6 04:42:11 PDT 2008

Hello,

I am running a script, which uses lp -dprinter_name to print an
outputed textstream from stdin.

It has worked perfectly until I started messing with lpadmin user rights (at least I think that where the problems started). Noticing that this caused a problem I've tried to undo the damage by entering:
lpadmin -u allow:all

It still doesn't work. Nothing is printed and nothing is shown in the jobs lists, in the error_log or page_log.

If I (logged in as root) manually type: lp test_print -dprinter_name it works. I have also tried: echo "Hello World" | lp -dprinter_name which also works perfectly.

I have noticed that when the script tries to print, a file is generated in /var/spool/cups/tmp/, but nothing else seems to happen.

I really don't know what I have done wrong, but I think it must be problems with access.

I'm running CUPS 1.1.23 on a Debian 3.1 system.

Thanks,
Christer Volk
Terma A/s