Classes Help

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Aug 7 08:19:06 PDT 2008

Daniel Westwater wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just started to test CUPS and plan to implement it in our business.
>
> I need to setup a class for two plotters, which i have done. Now what i dont understand (and yes call me stupid, as im sure its really simple) is how you then install that on a windows client?
>
> I want it to share the load between the two plotters, when i try to add the class in windows it asks for a driver... but there are two printers in the class, so my question is what driver do i need to use to install it on the client?
>
> Or if i dont even need to do that, what do i do to get it working?
>

> Thanks for your time
>
> Dan

If you set up the Windows printer(s) using cupsaddsmb, AFIK you only
are able to set up printers, not classes.

I'd suggest to set up a directory containing what is usually contained
in a printer's driver CD for installation : the needed binaries,
DLLs, dependent files etc. and a suitable .inf file
and use that (e.g. configured as a samba share) in place of
a driver CD.

Then you may set up printer instances with refer to a CUPS class
but use the PPD of a member of that class. Note that in this case
you should use a PPD for the class members that represents the
common properties of all the class members only. Of course sou
need to use the class name as the last component of the printer's
path/device_uri (depending if you install it as a samba or an ipp
printer).

Helge

NB: I have a Perl script that generates the needed stuff
for CUPS printers. But there is a lot of site specific stuff
in it (referring to the "alternate pstops filter e.g.) which
you should comment out, and tne .inf file for Vista is not yet
implemented (we still prefer to use XP pro).

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung

H.Blischke at acm.org