smb authentication for domain users

Christopher choward at indicium.us
Thu Aug 7 17:39:02 PDT 2008

Hi.  I've got an Ubuntu 8.04 Linux box which is joined to a Windows AD via the Likewise-open package.  The box will be used by many different domain users, and I'd like them to all be able to print to our network printer, through an smb network share.

I've run into a little problem here. I've asked about this in a lot of Linux forums but haven't got an answers yet.

Ubuntu has built in tools for adding smb printers.  The problem is that it uses a global user name and password to authenticate, regardless of who is doing the printing.  I have to provide the user name and password when I set up the printer, and it is stored in the smb URL in 'printers.conf'.

Is there a way to configure CUPS, or SMB (or heck, anything), so that the system could use the domain credentials (or kerberos ticket, maybe?) of the person who is logged in?

If I can't figure out such a solution, it means I'll either have to A) convince my supervisors to create a 'Linux-only' printing account, whose password never changes; or B) go cross-department, and try to get the folks who control the printer to adjust it to allow for printing without authentication.  Both options could be rather difficult for me.