[cups.general] snmp address ranges

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Aug 11 14:32:21 PDT 2008

Stephen Isard wrote:
> Cups snmp discovery seems to be restricted to the 255 addresses
> corresponding to the broadcast address on the LOCAL interface, plus
> other individual addresses specified in the snmp.conf file.  In
> particular, it doesn't seem to work for the entire range of addresses
> covered by the combination of broadcast address and netmask on the
> LOCAL interface.  Is this correct?  If so, is it because of some
> feature of the snmp protocol, or just because the cups implementation
> hasn't taken the netmask into account?

Your assumption is incorrect.  CUPS broadcasts the initial SNMP
query using the broadcast address(es) for the interface(s) you specify
in snmp.conf.  We don't poll all addresses in a subnet manually.

What would be useful to know is:

1. What version of CUPS?

2. What operating system/Linux distribution?

3. How is your network organized?